Best tressed with the Fashionista

Freshman Liz Carver models a french braided messy bun at 17th Avenue Residence Hall on Friday afternoon. A french braided messy bun is a simple heatless up-do for summer.
Breezy sundresses and strappy sandals call for a new summer hairdo. 

As the weather heats up, the last thing you want to do is spend hours in front of the mirror blow-drying, curling and straightening your locks.

Step away from the heated tools — your mane will thank you — and try out one of these five heatless summer styles.

Not your average ponytail: 

Get sporty with this slicked-back, braided 
ponytail. The pristine pony combined with a voluminous braid looks effortless and chic.

1. Gather hair into a tight ponytail at the crown of your head.

2. Comb back hairs, and spritz with medium-hold hairspray to smooth.

3. Take a small section of hair from the ponytail, wrap it around the base and secure with a bobby pin to conceal the hair binder.

4. Braid the ponytail with a normal, three-strand braid, and secure with another hair binder.

5. Lightly pull on sections of the braid to create a fuller ponytail.

Boho headband updo: 

Wispy flyaway hairs are a nuisance on windy days. The simplest way to keep wild hair at bay is by adding a large bohemian headband. Tucking in the rest of your locks creates a Gatsby-inspired updo.

1. Position a headband with its front just above your forehead and the back on top of your hair.

2. Take 1-inch sections of hair and tuck them into the strap of the headband, starting closest to your face.

3. Continue tucking in strands of hair until they’re appropriately nestled into the headband. No need for perfection — a few messy pieces looks whimsical and carefree.

The half topknot: 

A half-up, half-down topknot is edgy and fun. It effortlessly transforms straight or curly hair bedhead into a laid-back, rocker look. 

1. Use a rat-tooth comb (or fingers) to section off the top-half of your hair by starting just above the ears and meeting at the crown of your head.

2. Secure the hair into a tight ponytail.

3. Wrap the ponytail around itself into a topknot, and secure with bobby pins. 

Flirty messy bun: 

This summery style can be worn day or night. It’s a simple look to recreate but appears like it took hours to perfect. Feathery strands of hair that peek out of the bun make it suitable for any occasion, from brunch to black-tie. 

1. Create a deep part on one side of your hair.

2. On the side with more hair, create a French braid framing your face and ending at the nape of your neck.

3. Gather the braid and the rest of your hair into a low, side ponytail.

4. Form a messy bun with the hair, pinning sections with bobby pins to hold it in place. 

The modern double Dutch:

Channel your inner child with a set of double Dutch braids. This look is an elevated take on the youthful style. The double-braided look emulates elementary, girlish charm, yet modifies it into a ponytail that makes it look polished and age-appropriate. 

1. Create a center part.

2. Gently tease both sides of hair for a little volume.

3. Create a Dutch braid on both sides of your hair, ending with two braided pigtails.

4. Tie both braids together with a hair binder, and remove the other two hair binders. Let the two Dutch braids fall into a low ponytail.