Trying Bulletproof Coffee for two days

The ritual of drinking coffee seems ancient, like there couldn’t be a massive improvement in how coffee is prepared or consumed because we would have thought of it by now.

Then I heard some rambling about this thing called “Bulletproof Coffee.” Apparently, the idea is that you use a high-fat content agent in your coffee to make the caffeine buzz last longer and make the crash less intense later. I don’t trust most internet fads claiming to help fix things that aren’t really broken, but the recipe calls for butter and I like butter so I’ll try it.

Recipe:

• Make your coffee like you normally do. Pour it hot and black into a blender.

• Instead of putting in sugar or cream, put 1-2 tablespoons of UNSALTED butter in the blender as well.

• You can use coconut oil instead if you like that sorta stuff.

• I guess you’re supposed to add an ingredient called “Brain Octane” which is dumb and costs $23.50 a bottle so skip that.

• Blend the coffee and butter for 20-30 seconds until it’s “frothy like a latte.”

I drank this as a replacement to my normal coffee two days in a row and didn’t notice any discernible difference in my energy or alertness. I felt the same. What I did like, though, was the taste and texture of it. So as a normal drink, it’s fine.

Now you may be saying, “Yeah, but you didn’t use any ‘Brain Octane,’” and that’s true but the science behind it says that the butter is the most important part and the anecdote the creator tells is about “yak butter tea in Tibet” and I’m sure they didn’t use any of that octane stuff.

So, “Bulletproof Coffee”: doesn’t really work in the way that it’s supposed to, tastes OK.