University names newest Regents professor

For his work in criminology, Professor Christopher Uggen was announced as the school’s 100th faculty member to receive the honor.

The University of Minnesota announced the selection of its newest Regents professor Wednesday.

Christopher Uggen, professor of sociology and law, was awarded with the school’s 100th Regents Professorship — the highest level of recognition given to faculty members by the University — for his achievements in criminology and law, adding to the list of awards and achievements he’s received.

Shirley Nelson Garner, a University professor and member of the selection committee, said they chose Uggen because of his record of interconnecting research, public service and teaching.

“One of the things that’s very attractive about his profile is, it’s very whole,” she said. “Everything he does is connected; the kind of research he does, the kind of teaching he does, his work with students and his public service, which includes being an advisor to the White House and so forth.”

Professors eligible for this award have exhibited scholarly, creative or artistic achievement, have shown accomplishments in teaching and advising, and have contributed professional service inside and outside of the University.

Uggen was ahead of his time on issues like felons’ voting rights, Garner said, and is known for his research and advocacy work in that area.

“He was a groundbreaker in this area, and you can see that from his record,” she said.

University President Eric Kaler commended the selection of Uggen.

“He exemplifies the qualities of teaching, research and scholarship that this honor requires, and I congratulate him on this well-deserved recognition,” Kaler said in a statement.

With the addition of Uggen, there are 30 current University professors with Regent Professorships, bringing the all-time total to 100.

The Regents Professorship was established by the board in 1965 to recognize national prominence of faculty.