State should require gun licenses

Cars are so dangerous they can kill. ThatâÄôs why we require a license: Not to own one, but to use one. ParentsâÄô, relativesâÄô and friendsâÄô training isnâÄôt enough: We require state-certified instructorsâÄô approval as well as approval from those in charge of driverâÄôs education. You must be age 16, get training, pass a written test, pass a road test and get re-tested every so often for life. And if you want to drive anything bigger (trucks, buses, bulldozers, etc.), that requires a higher license, again from a state-certified system. Everyone knows all this, and no one has a problem with it. So why doesnâÄôt all this apply to guns? Cars kill by accident, but guns kill by design! ThatâÄôs why cops have to have very serious background checks, practice, testing and re-testing âÄî all by a state-certified system âÄî before using even the smallest gun. And they canâÄôt use bigger ones without further training and higher licenses. All gun-users should have to get training like police and then a license first. There should be small- and large-caliber gun licenses and everything in between. Ammunition should be limited and appropriate to the purpose at hand; for shooting deer, if you think you need a 100-round magazine, you really need more practice! Most importantly of all, no mentally deranged person âÄî of any color âÄî should either drive or shoot.