Jewish students can support divestment

As a student and a member of Jewish Voice for Peace-Twin Cities, I strongly urge the University of Minnesota to divest from companies that profit from the occupation of Palestine.

The accusation that removing the University of Minnesota’s investments from four companies that profit from violent oppression would be anti-Semitic completely misses the mark. Instead, many Jews do not feel their Jewish values are being represented by the Israeli government in regards to Palestinians. 

Just as students should condemn the colonial settler methods used against American Indian populations in North and South America, so we should condemn Israel’s human rights abuses against Palestinians. 

We must remember former South African President Nelson Mandela’s words: “Our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians.” I believe that, as with the struggle against South African apartheid, the call for Palestinian rights will one day be universally recognized as a moral and justified struggle.

I want the University not only to be on the right side of history but also to become a frontrunner and leader in issues of peace and justice.

I would be proud to say that this school supports the nonviolent tactics of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement to use economic pressure to persuade Israel to adhere to human rights guidelines.

Alaina DeSalvo
University student