Mable caps junior season at NCAAs

Junior Lindsay Mable conducts her beam routine at the Sports Pavilion on Saturday afternoon.
Image by Daily File Photo, Liam James Doyle
In an up and down season, the one constant was junior Lindsay Mable’s dominance.

In her last meet of the season Friday — the NCAA championship — her season-long domination was put to the test, going up against the nation’s best gymnasts.

She finished in a tie for 17th place with a score of 39.25 to top off her successful junior season.

“At first I was disappointed, but after sitting on it, I am really blessed and thankful for the opportunity,” Mable said. “One night doesn’t define a whole season, and now I’m trying to focus on next season.”

Mable kicked off the all-around competition by posting a 9.85 on vault.

“We knew the judges’ scoring was very consistent and tight, but it was a great vault,” head coach Jenny Hansen said.

After only one event, Mable went into her first bye, and she and Hansen tried to keep the atmosphere light.

“We went back in, had a little snack and played some games,” Mable said. “We tried to keep it light and look forward to the next event.”

Out of the bye, Mable scored a 9.775 on uneven bars and then went on to tally a 9.75 on beam.

“It was a great bar routine, but the score was disappointing,” Hansen said. “And her beam had a little wobble, which is uncharacteristic of her.”

After her final bye, Mable went to floor and posted her highest score of the night, a 9.875, in her last routine.

“It was bittersweet. There were a lot of emotions to know I’ve finished my season, but I’m excited to get back in the gym for next year,” she said.

Mable finished her junior year with 31 event victories and 11 all-around titles.

She was named Big Ten Gymnast of the Year, North Central Region Gymnast of the Year for the second consecutive year and was the top ranked all-around gymnast for two consecutive weeks in February.

“This season doesn’t really seem real. I’m super blessed to compete every weekend and lucky to have the opportunity,” Mable said. “I will take this year’s success and remember what made them successes.”