The Fashionista is in: Fall campus style

Students refuse to fall behind on this season’s fashions.
From left: Maddy Carroll, Allison Kaczmarski, Jessica Bliven
Image by Juliet Farmer

As the sizzling summer fizzles away, the crisp fall winds call for changes in our wardrobes.

Diving into a hectic new semester, we’re scurrying to classes, hunting for internships, consuming caffeine like water and barely finding time to brush our teeth in the morning.

But there are some students at the University of Minnesota who aren’t letting their busy schedules affect their chance to wear this fall’s fashions.

Here’s a student-inspired Gopher guide to autumn trends on campus:

Very Military

If you want to toughen up your look, add military pieces to your closet. Camouflage prints and loosely fitted or tightly belted army green jackets are the best way to add edge this season. Don’t forget to stomp the campus hallways with a pair of combat boots, too.

Freshman communications major Maddy Carroll sports an oversized military shirt and a black skater dress paired with dark brown ankle booties.

Rule of thumb: Try to give the masculine military look a feminine twist by pairing a jacket with a fitted dress or skater skirt.

Jewels Galore

Forget the diamonds — emeralds, sapphires and rubies are a girl’s best friend this fall. Dark, vibrant colors should be staple pieces in your closet. Green has reigned as one of the top colors for fall, so let the Wizard of Oz’s Emerald City be your inspiration for hue selection.

On the East Bank, sophomore Allison Kaczmarski displays a bold sapphire sleeveless blouse with a pair of dark pants.

Rule of thumb: Be bold with the jewel tones; add different vibrant colors to your collection. Feel as precious as those jewels.

Animal Instinct

Take a walk on the wild side this season with some ferocious animal prints. All animals are game, so take your pick from cheetah, zebra or leopard.

Warning: The pattern should be an accent piece. Leave the leopard bandage dress for the nightclub — or the garbage. Slip on a pair of flats with skinny black pants, like interior design junior Jessica Bliven. Her casual combination of a white top and slim pants allows the leopard flats to shine.

Rule of thumb: Have fun with the animal kingdom-inspired clothing this season. But wear it to look fierce, not so people want to claw your eyes out.