Women open spring with top-10 finish in Puerto Rico

Though freshman Courtney Massey is the newest member of the Minnesota womenâÄôs golf team âÄî having just joined the team at the beginning of this semester âÄî early signs indicate she may quickly be playing a big role in the Gophers program. Along with sophomore Teresa Puga, the Carrara, Australia native led Minnesota to a 10th-place finish at the Puerto Rico Invitational on Monday. Massey and Puga each fired 54-hole totals of 13-over 229 to finish in a six-way tie for 18th at Coco Beach Country Club in San Juan, Puerto Rico. For Puga, a top-20 finish is no surprise. In five fall tournaments, she finished outside the top-20 only once. Her three day total is perhaps even disappointing. Her worst 54-hole total in the fall was 226, and she posted a 74.07 stroke average. Meanwhile, it was hard to predict how Massey would perform in her collegiate debut. But she followed a team-best opening round 76 with rounds of 74 and 79 to take the guess work out of it âÄî she was ready to play. Behind PugaâÄôs and MasseyâÄôs pace, sophomores Mary Narzisi and Michele Edlin landed in ties for 47th and 69th, respectively. Senior Paige Bromen rebounded from a first round 87 with a 78 and a 79 but finished tied for 76th. Her fellow senior Kelli Berns, playing the event as an individual and finished in a four-way tie for 65th.