President Barack Obama

Where do you stand on same-sex marriage?

President Obama was the first sitting president to publicly announce his support for marriage for same-sex couples, and has always believed LGBT Americans should be treated fairly and equally.

President Obama endorsed the Respect for Marriage Act, signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, and extended hospital visitation and medical decision-making rights to LGBT couples.

What is your plan for Afghanistan?

President Obama is drawing down our troops in Afghanistan as we transition security responsibility to the Afghan people, and is on track to responsibly end the war there in 2014.

How do you plan to address the national debt?

President Obama has put forward a specific, balanced plan of spending cuts and revenue increases that reduce the deficit by more than $4 trillion over the next decade, including $1 trillion in spending cuts he signed into law last summer as part of a deal with congressional Republicans.

How will you bolster the economy?

President Obama has a plan to bring jobs back to the U.S. by eliminating tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas, and creating incentives for businesses to bring jobs back to America.

What direction does America need to take for energy independence?

President Obama has a real strategy to take control of our energy future and finally reduce our dependence on foreign oil — an all-of-the-above approach to developing all our energy resources.

President Obama is doubling fuel efficiency standards, which will save consumers more than $8,000 at the pump, create jobs in the American automobile industry, and save 12 billion barrels of oil.

Under President Obama, the United States has become a world leader in natural gas, and production is at an all-time high . He is promoting the safe, responsible development of our near 100-year supply of natural gas, which could support more than 600,000 new jobs by the end of the decade.

Under President Obama, we are producing more oil than we have in 14 years. He is helping expand domestic oil production by offering millions of acres of land for development — including opening up 75 percent of our oil and gas resources in the Gulf and Arctic — and is improving safety measures to prevent future spills.

Since President Obama took office, electricity generated from clean energy sources like wind and solar has doubled and his investments in clean energy and energy efficiency have supported nearly a quarter million jobs.

President Obama has made one of the most significant federal investments in clean coal technology in history. The Obama administration has attracted more than $10 billion in private investments, and in 2011, employment in the coal sector hit its highest level since 1996.

With tuition costs rising, what, if anything, needs to happen to address issues in paying higher education?

By doubling funding for Pell Grants and establishing a college tax credit, President Obama is putting higher education within reach for millions more Americans.

President Obama successfully fought to prevent federal student loan interest rates from doubling for more than 7 million students, and capped federal student loan repayments at 10 percent of income. This means responsible students and their families can make decisions about the future based on career goals rather than the price of tuitionWhat should America’s role in the Middle East be in the future?

President Obama made the bold decision to order a raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan, eliminating the man responsible for the 9/11 attacks and the only leader al-Qaeda had ever known.

In 2010, President Obama announced an international effort to secure all vulnerable nuclear materials in four years, and has worked to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons in Iran and North Korea.

What changes would you make to America’s health care system?

Obamacare is making health care work better for all of us, even if you already have insurance. It puts the health of your family first—ensuring access to free preventive care and protecting consumers from insurance company abuses.

The Affordable Care Act is holding insurance companies accountable, putting an end to the worst abuses, such as capping or dropping your coverage when you get sick.

The Affordable Care Act is helping people with Medicare save on the care they need to stay healthy — from free preventive services to lower costs on prescription drugs and monthly premiums.

President Obama is putting an end to the health insurance company practice of charging women more than men for the same coverage.