Two after UMPD’s chief spot

The search for the next University of Minnesota Police Chief has been narrowed to two candidates.

St. Paul Police Department Commander Colleen Luna and Minneapolis Assistant Chief of Police Matt Clark were chosen as the two finalists for the University police department’s top position, according to an email from University Services Vice President Pamela Wheelock.

The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office will begin background checks on Luna and Clark, Wheelock said in the email, which is expected to take a few weeks.

Officials hope to select a new chief by midsummer.

A search committee comprised of administrators, law enforcement officials and a student representative interviewed candidates in early March. Four finalists presented in open forums later in the month.

Clark said in his presentation that he’d like to focus on protecting students when they’re on and off campus, and setting appropriate long- and short-term goals for the department.

Luna’s presentation focused on the relationship between law enforcement and the community.

The two other finalists who visited campus were UMPD’s Deputy Chief Chuck Miner and Metropolitan Transit Police Department Captain James Franklin.
University Police Chief Greg Hestness announced his retirement in October. His last day on the job will come in June after a 40-year career in law enforcement.