Daily wins bigat regional awards

The Minnesota Daily won several awards during the last month for excellence in journalism and advertisement.

Last week, the news department won several awards at the Society of Professional Journalists Region 6 conference. The Daily competed with papers from Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Wisconsin. First-place winners go on to a national competition in Las Vegas in November.

At the conference, the Daily won:

– First place for best all-around daily student newspaper

– Second place for editorial writing, the Daily’s editorial board

– First place for sports column writing, Aaron Blake

– First place in sports writing for Ben Goessling’s “Hirsch leaves goal-scoring, attention-gathering to others” and second place in sports writing for “Time to show them what you got, kid.” Goessling also won third place in the same category for “Bits of kindness help recovery,” which he wrote for The Washington Times.

– First place in best spot news photography by Kathy Easthagen for “Man killed near University Village”

– Second place in best sports photography for a photo of the volleyball team’s entrance into the final four, by Angela Hanson

– First place in feature writing for Emily Johns’ “A call to arms and a long goodbye”

– First place in in-depth reporting for “Telescope is an opportunity and controversy,” by Kari Petrie and Geoff Ziezulewicz. Petrie also won second place in general news writing for “Flaw could allow 2 votes.”

– First place spot news reporting for Anna Weggel’s “Man killed near University Village”

– First place in feature photography for “Refugees seek new beginning,” by Thomas Whisenand. Whisenand also won first place in general news photography for “Missing student found.”

The Daily’s business department also won several awards at the national College Newspaper Business and Advertising Managers Inc. conference.

The Daily won:

– First place in best classified group promotion for the housing guide

– Second place in best newspaper promotion in color for the Dr. Date promotion

– Third place in best newspaper promotion campaign for the “MOE” coverage campaign

– Third place in business manager of the year for Kyle Schneider

The news department also won awards at the Best of the Midwest conference, which the Associated Collegiate Press sponsored.

The Daily won:

– First place in best college newspaper for a broadsheet paper at a four-year college

– First place in best arts and entertainment section

– Second place in the special section category for “A call to arms and a long goodbye”

– First place in news writing for Naomi Scott’s “Med School tops price list”

– Third place in news writing for Than Tibbetts’ “Going pro a tough decision for many student-athletes”