Some rules to winter

Snow emergencies come with numerous obligations that we should all follow.

Few things are clearer than the fact that winter is coming. A snow emergency was declared Sunday, with numerous rules going into effect after 9 p.m. Sunday night. There are now things many of us must do in order to smoothly get through this snow emergency.

First of all, those on campus who drive must be wary about what side of the street they park on. You can only park in areas that have either been fully plowed — according to the city it must be “completely cleared and plowed as wide as possible” — or, after 8 a.m. Monday, you can park on the odd numbered side of the road or where snow emergency parking signs dictate open parking. Maps are available via the official website of the city of Minneapolis. Failure to abide by these rules may lead to your car being towed or ticketed at your rather costly expense.

For commuters, you will also have to clear the top of your car of snow and ice to avoid accidents on the road. Make sure you have anti-freeze and a snow and ice scraper so you can safely make it to campus, as well.

Keeping driveways clear is important to remember. Check with elderly neighbors and those potentially unable to shovel driveways and sidewalks to see if they need help getting through our famous Minnesota winters.

Injuries due to falling, slipping and other accidents are common this time of year on the University of Minnesota campus, which is something you won’t want to deal with come spring semester. Practicing caution outside is the key to staying safe.

Finals present their own level of stress this time of year, and there is no need to add to stress levels by injuring yourself or others. Follow this advice, and we will all make it through yet another Minnesota winter.