Bruininks proposes tuition increase

University President Bob Bruininks presented his proposed budget requests for 2010-2011 Friday at the Board of Regents meeting Friday, which included annual 4.5 percent tuition increases over the two-year period. FridayâÄôs continuation of the Board of Regents meeting finished this monthâÄôs business for the board and President Bob Bruininks. Most of the meeting focused on BruininkâÄôs proposed Biennial Budget Request for 2010-2011. The budget made requests for funding in three main areas: faculty and staff compensation, middle income student scholarships, and research enhancement. Bruininks said the University will do its part with annual 4.5 percent tuition increases during the two-year budget period and would reallocate 1 percent of the UniversityâÄôs current state appropriation and tuition base. The budget is a $141.2 million request from the state legislature, which includes $95.2 million that would be directed toward faculty and staff compensation. Regents were pleased with the budget but still concerned about tuition increases. The board also recognized four regentâÄôs professors. These University professors were acknowledged for outstanding teaching and research in their fields. The title of regents professor is the highest honor the University gives to its faculty.