Med School dean candidate Murphy visits U, speaks

Dr. Sharon Murphy, a dean candidate for the University Medical School, met with University officials, faculty and students during the first day of her visit to the University campus Tuesday.

More than 100 people met to hear Murphy, a Northwestern University Medical School pediatrics professor, speak about the future of academic health centers.

Murphy said ethics in biomedical research and leadership in medical education and curriculum innovation are important.

She also spoke about gender and minority equity in medical professions.

“The playing field is clearly not level,” she said, citing small percentages of minority faculty members in medical schools nationwide.

Murphy’s desire to diversify medical schools interested Dr. Elizabeth Seaquist,
professor at the Medical School.

“As a female faculty member, the idea of a gender issue being up there with the other issues is very important,” she said.

Seaquist said she attended Murphy’s lecture to illustrate the faculty’s commitment to the school’s future.

Reviewing the controversial issues facing medical schools, Murphy explained her motivations for applying.

“It does make you wonder, why would someone want to become a dean, especially after such an exceptional one here?” Murphy said. “But I think it’s especially important that we all want to make a difference, and that’s what I would do if I came here.”

Two other candidates will visit the University within the next week.

Dr. Thomas Krummel, Stanford School of Medicine’s surgery department chairman, will visit campus Thursday and Friday. He will deliver an open lecture Thursday at 4 p.m. in Room 2-690 of Moos Tower.

Another candidate, Dr. Deborah Powell, will visit Monday and Tuesday. Powell is the executive dean and vice chancellor for clinical affairs at the University of Kansas Medical Center. She will lecture Monday at 4 p.m. in Room 2-690 of Moos Tower.

Dr. Eli Adashi visited the campus last week. Adashi is the obstetrics and gynecology chairman at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center.

The successful candidate will fill the dean position in June, when current Dean Alfred Michael retires.

Amy Hackbarth welcomes comments at [email protected]