Carlson publishes most journal pieces

The expertise of some scholars at the Carlson School of Management puts them ahead of the game.

The Department of Information and Decision Sciences grabbed the top-ranking spot in number of pages published in popular management information systems journals, a recent study showed.

The Association for Information Systems conducted the study, considering graduates, doctoral students and faculty who were published in top information journals between 2001 and 2005. Those judged in the study were individuals from 50 top schools selected by AIS.

Professor and chair of the department Alok Gupta credits the ranking to the department’s program being one of the oldest and one with the highest quality.

“Our program has produced a lot of top-notch researchers,” Gupta said.

Gupta said by measuring the number of articles appearing in scholarly journals, people can see the impact different programs have on the field.

The Department of Information and Decision Sciences hones its crafts to providing computing technologies for business decision-making purposes, Gupta said.

The department’s faculty researches and teaches in areas including development, assessment, adoption and impact of new technology.

Aside from being a leader in the school, Gupta also leads this study as one of the three professors at the Carlson School ranked as top researchers in the field.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to publish several articles in these top-quality journals,” he said. “It reflects the quality of leadership here.”

Past chair of the department and current professor Carl Adams agreed.

“(Gupta’s) got a fine reputation and he works very hard, probably too hard for his own good,” he said.

Other high-ranking professors from the Carlson School included Robert J. Kauffman and Mani Subramani.

This ranking has only added to the school’s existing high status.

Dmitry Hdamov, a doctoral student and member of the Information and Decision Sciences program said he’s excited about the news, despite all the hard work that goes into it.

“I know the responsibility to keep this reputation going, and there is more excitement than stress,” he says.

Hdamov has not had work printed in journals yet, but he continues to wait anxiously.

“I feel hopeful that some of my papers will go out and be published someday,” Hdamov said.