Security for your cyber self

Students should join the discussion about Internet security at the University.

The University of Minnesota hosted a summit to discuss cybersecurity issues Monday, as October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month. The Cyber Security Summit event brought up important issues that many students donâÄôt think about, but should.

Cybersecurity experts gathered at Coffman Union to discuss the seriousness of potential cyber threats with students. As reported by the Minnesota Daily in September 2011, computers in the UniversityâÄôs network are targeted by 10,000 cyberattacks each year. This statistic alone should be enough to raise awareness among students around campus. By discussing cybersecurity issues and spreading useful information on the topic, students will have a better grasp on the matter.

Another reason for students to pay attention to cybersecurity is because itâÄôs a growing job field. The College of Science and Engineering began offering a degree in security technology just last year.

Cybersecurity is a real problem in the intangible world of the Internet. Hackers pose a serious threat to networks throughout the nation and close to home. These threats and issues have resulted in a need for more experts in the field. Students should view this as an opportunity to find work in unusual places. With a poor job market, the cybersecurity field opens more doors for students interested in this type of work.

This weekâÄôs cybersecurity gathering was the first of its kind at the University, and it was the first step in creating a more cybersecurity-aware campus. Students should take a deeper look at an emerging issue that is quickly becoming a threat, not only to isolated computers and networks, but to increasingly interdependent communication and technological systems.