Prof named to waste agency

Efi Foufoula-Georgiou was nominated for the government board.

A University of Minnesota professor recently got national recognition by being nominated to the U.S. Nuclear Waste Technical Review Board by President Barack Obama.

Efi Foufoula-Georgiou, a civil engineering professor in the University’s College of Science and Engineering, was officially nominated to the board Sept. 21.

In a White House press release Obama said, “I am confident that these outstanding men and women will greatly serve the American people in their new roles and I look forward to working with them in the months and years to come.”

The NWTRB was established as an independent federal agency in 1987 by amendments to the Nuclear Waste Policy Act. The board now functions to offer “independent scientific and technical oversight” to the Department of Energy’s program for managing and disposing of nuclear waste, according to the NWTRB website.

Obama nominated seven other college professors to the board in addition to Foufoula-Georgiou, who said nominees were selected for scientific and intellectual accomplishments.

“It is an honor to be included in the list,” she said.

The nomination process was long and began several months ago for Foufoula-Georgiou, but the professor will begin work with a meeting later this week at the board’s headquarters in Arlington, Va.

Her first official assignment with the board will be in Idaho on Oct. 16.

Although Foufoula-Georgiou said work with the NWTRB will demand much of her time, the professor will continue with all of her work at the University.