Blogs: Not just for politicos anymore

Blogs have become the bugle and voyeurs window of the Internet generation.

Thankfully, blogs have become the watchdogs of the popular press, of the government and any other entity of far-reaching power. To be a credible blogger, one doesnít need a piece of paper that says they have notable degree from a respected institution to prove they know something. Thomas Paine rejoice!

Blogging has become the new forum for international scholars to discuss issues. While comparing notes with University of Oklahoma professor Joshua Landis and University of Michigan professor Juan Cole, blogger Asíad AbuKhalil noted that they all spend way more time blogging than they are comfortable with admitting.

Blogging is where journalism meets globalization. Blogs have, in many ways, revolutionized the media by allowing the average citizen to publish his or her work and potentially have an audience across the world. Through this, blogging increasingly has become one of the most important tools for a vital democracy. Students can point out faults in University administration or they can expound on the latest H&M controversy.

Moreover, blogs cater to various purposes, serving as diaries to some, exposing scandals or allowing individuals to use the opportunity to develop as a writer and thinker. Some blogs are dedicated to the more inane aspects of life such as Lindsey Lohanís latest shopping spree.

Blogging is an excellent outlet for self-development; itís a safe zone for self-expression and forming identity as long as governments stay out of it and corprations keep their hands off. The timid student in lecture could easily be the genius behind your favorite blog. Blogs highlight the opinion of the blogger instead of their image. A personís view is disconnected from their social standing, and words are taken without necessarily knowing where theyíre coming from. In this sense, blogs are an equalizer of power, giving credit where deserved. In an age where the average person can feel like nothing more than a hair on a barbershop floor, any access to voice is a good thing.