Freshman U tennis player tops field

Highly touted Gophers freshman women’s tennis player Nora Souska won the B singles championship of the Notre Dame Invitational on Sunday, defeating Michigan’s Brooke Hart 6-3, 6-2.
Souska, a native of Hungary, also teamed with sophomore Jana Hrdinova to win the B doubles championship on Saturday.
Minnesota Junior Jenni Svehla took home third place honors in the singles B draw, defeating Tomeika Harris of Michigan 6-3, 6-4. Gophers sophomore Tarah Elkins became the third Minnesota player in the top five of the B draw by defeating Erryn Weggerman, also of Michigan, in straight sets.
In the A bracket, Gophers sophomore Alice Rangsithienchai claimed fifth place on Sunday by defeating Notre Dame’s Kelly Zelinski 6-3, 6-2.
The Gophers will compete next in the Wolfpack Invitational in Raleigh, N.C.
Men’s tennis
Gophers senior Ben Gabler and sophomore Adam Selkirk won their first-round matches on Friday at the Arizona State Invite, but they were both defeated in the second round.
Gabler won his first match in a third-set tiebreaker but was forced to retire midway through his second match.
Selkirk breezed through the first round, defeating Casey Was of Arizona State 6-1, 6-2. The sophomore was unable to keep his momentum, however, and lost in straight sets in his second match.
Gabler and Selkirk were also defeated in the quarterfinals of the doubles competition.
Wrestling
The Gophers wrestling team was ranked No. 7 in the National Wrestling Coaches Association and Amateur Wrestling News preseason poll, which was released recently.
Of the poll’s top ten teams, six are from the Big Ten, headed by top-ranked Iowa. Other schools ranked in the top ten include Michigan State, Penn State, Illinois and Michigan. Indiana and Wisconsin also cracked the top 20.
Four Gophers wrestlers cracked the top eight at individual weights: Brandon Paulson, No. 7 at 118 pounds; Jason Davids, No. 2 at 142 pounds; Chad Kraft, No. 4 at 150 pounds; and Gerald Carr, No. 7 at 167 pounds.
The Gophers open their season on Nov. 16 at the Bison Invitational in Fargo, N.D.