2 students sexually assaulted

Two more female University students reported sexual assaults on campus Monday morning, bringing the total number of reports to six within the last five days. In each reported assault, the suspect, whose description was consistent among each incident, approached the victims on his bicycle and grabbed their genital areas from behind. On Monday, the first assault occurred at around 7:40 a.m. outside the Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs and the second outside Walter F. Mondale Hall at around 9:30 a.m. In another incident on Sunday afternoon, a female student walking near Stub & Herbs Drinking and Dining Emporium in Stadium Village was grabbed in the same manner as in the previous cases, according to University police. In each report, the suspect is described as a black male, approximately 6 feet 3 inches tall, riding a red bicycle and wearing a dark coat, tan stocking cap and black pants. University Police Chief Greg Hestness said he strongly believes that one individual is responsible for all of the assaults. University police have been collaborating with the Minneapolis Police Department and have several suspects in mind, said University Deputy Police Chief Chuck Miner. âÄúWe are trying to get the word out to the community to be vigilant and be aware of their surroundings,âÄù he said. âÄúThese are happening in broad daylight.âÄù Minneapolis police Sgt. Jesse Garcia said they have caught the suspect over video surveillance cameras and have alerted patrol officers of the situation. On Jan. 29, three female students were assaulted in the same manner on the West Bank at around 8:30 a.m. by a suspect matching previous descriptions, according to University police. The first occurred near Anderson Hall, and the second on the West Bank Plaza near 19th and Washington avenues south. The location of the third incident is not known. In the January incidents, the suspect, a black man on a red bicycle, was wearing a green hat, brown coat and sunglasses. Another similar incident occurred nearly a month earlier. On Dec. 9 at about 6 p.m., a man ran up behind a female student who was walking on Washington Avenue in front of Moos Tower and grabbed her genital area from behind, according to University police. The suspect is described as a black male about 6 feet 3 inches tall wearing a black jacket and a stocking cap âÄîa similar description to the recent incidents. âÄúEvery few years we have an individual who comes to campus to engage in this kind of conduct,âÄù Miner said. âÄúThere are obviously a lot of adults in the University community, and occasionally people are drawn to the area for these reasons.âÄù Donna Dunn , director of Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault, said the incidents are unsettling and reinforce the need for women to be cautious about their surroundings. âÄúThe goal of this kind of assault is the same as any other, itâÄôs really to hurt, humiliate and undermine somebody,âÄù she said. âÄúIt would be really terrifying to have somebody do that to you.âÄù Briana Bierschbach contributed to this report.