Good deeds ‘spread light’ to 9/11

Chabad and Students Supporting Israel carried on last year’s event.

Twelve years after 9/11, the day was marked with little disruption or notice on the University of Minnesota campus.

Chabad and Students Supporting Israel’s University chapters, however, have continued to commemorate the day with a “Good Deed” Marathon — a nationwide effort to promote acts of kindness that started 11 years ago.

“Sept. 11 was a dark day for the U.S., and the idea is a good deed spreads light,” said Yitzi Steiner, an advisor to Chabad, the Jewish student group that brought the event to campus last year.

On Northrop Mall, participants were invited to donate to the charity Save a Child’s Heart, make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for children at the Dorothy Day Center, donate blood to the American Red Cross and make get-well cards for children in hospitals.

“No one really does anything on campus for 9/11, so we thought we would,” said Ron Feingold, vice president of Students Supporting Israel.

Alex Shaykevich, a physiology junior, stopped to write a get-well card in between his classes.

Twelve years ago, Shaykevich was in third grade.

“My grandpa picked me up that day, and I remember looking at this dinosaur book and he told me what had happened,” he said.

This was the first 9/11 event he’s been to in recent years.

Steiner said hundreds of people participated throughout the day.

Passers-by were invited to put miniature American flags into sand-filled cups spelling out the memorable date.

This year, to support the coalition between the groups, Students Supporting Israel co-sponsored the event with Chabad.

“It’s a way to show we’re united as Americans,” said Marta Slobodyanyuk, Students Supporting Israel vice president. “The U.S. and Israel are strong allies, and this event is to pay solidarity for the alliance.”