Numerous violations could motivate

More than 100 NCAA violations committed during the past decade could prompt another investigation into the University men’s athletic program.
“Numerous violations by an institution could constitute a major violation … especially if many of the violations are serious,” said Cris Sexton, NCAA director of enforcement.
Of the 117 self-reported infractions released by the University on Tuesday, at least 40 could be serious, according to standards listed by Sexton. These include forbidden recruiting by coaches, extra benefits for players or recruits, unauthorized financial aid and improper booster club involvement.
Infractions which indicate a flawed system might be particularly serious, Sexton said.
In 1988 and 1991 the University was cited for major violations, partially because the way the system was set up did not adequately control the men’s intercollegiate athletic program.
“This is entirely different,” said Chris Schoemann, University director of athletic compliance. “I don’t believe this is a systemic problem. We are no different than four or five other schools.
“There has been no indication that these self-reports encompass anything other than secondary violations.”
Major violations, which create a serious recruiting or competitive advantage, can be severely penalized, especially for repeat violations.
In order to be considered a repeat violation, a second major offense would have to occur within five years of a major infraction.
Since secondary infractions at the University have occurred since 1988, it is unclear whether the University would be considered a repeat offender.
The 117 self-reports are believed to be mostly secondary, so they have not been investigated as thoroughly as a major violation would be.
Secondary violations create “only a limited recruiting or competitive advantage and (are) isolated or inadvertent in nature,” according to the NCAA Web site.
The self-reported incidents were distributed among several men’s sports teams. To wit:
Men’s basketball
Of the 16 violations reported by the men’s basketball team, several would probably be classified as serious.
ù In 1988, student athletes received extra benefits from a former University administrator.
ù In March 1997, the University paid players’ incidental hotel expenses, some as high as $673.
ù On three occasions, recruits or athletes received complimentary tickets in violation of NCAA regulations.
ù Student athletes received extra benefits, such as lunch or embroidered jackets.
The last basketball self-report, included in those released Tuesday, stated that former academic counselor Jan Gangelhoff typed an assignment for a student athlete.

Men’s football
Men’s football has incurred 32 violations since 1988.
ù Seven student athletes received extra benefits from University employees in 1988.
ù A booster club paid the coaching staff for car insurance payments in 1992; four years later, the club paid a coach’s moving expenses.
ù Checks for more than $200 were sent to several players in 1997.
In eight additional incidents since 1988, ineligible players played, practiced or received financial aid.

Men’s hockey
Besides 14 lesser offenses, the men’s hockey team reported three serious ones.
ù A booster club made car insurance payments for a member of the hockey coaching staff in 1992.
ù An unexplained internal investigation of men’s hockey was conducted in 1997.
ù In that same year, a player participated without being enrolled full-time.

Other men’s sports
ù A wrestler participated on the team this January without maintaining a full course load, and in 1989 an ineligible student received financial aid. The men’s wrestling team also had seven other violations.
ù A men’s baseball player received improper financial aid in 1995. The baseball team violated eight other NCAA regulations.
ù Other men’s teams incurred minor violations: track had nine; golf, swimming and tennis had five each; and gymnastics had two.
The men’s athletic department received seven additional violations, including extra benefits and failure to complete audits on time. University administration received one violation.

Past major infractions
In the last 12 years, the University has been cited twice by the NCAA Committee on Infractions for inadequate control over the men’s intercollegiate athletic program.
According to the NCAA infraction reports:
ù In March 1988, the committee penalized the University for serious NCAA violations from 1982 to 1986. The report specifically cites the University’s “repeated failures to exercise adequate institutional control over the administration of the university’s men’s intercollegiate athletic program.”
ù In March 1991, the NCAA Committee on Infractions cites the University for numerous violations including misappropriation of funds and improper recruiting between 1985 and 1989.
The University was put on a two-year probation and was limited in recruiting activities and postseason play for one year. In addition, people involved in major infractions were to be terminated, suspended without pay or reassigned for at least one year.
Because many of the violations took place before the previous ruling, the NCAA did not impose more stringent penalties required for repeat violators.