Gopher women’s hockey vs. Robert Morris, round 2

It was a tense mood down by the locker room last night after the game. Many thought the Gophers should have dominated Robert Morris and this many have led to the Gophers not taking things seriously. Some line-up changes have been made for the Gophers. First-year Sarah Erickson has switched with sophomore Jen Schoullis and moved to the second line with the Lamoureux twins. Schoullis will center the third line of junior Kelli Blankenship and junior Chelsey Jones, who has been replaced by junior Brittany Francis on the first line. First-year Nikki Ludwigson will be the 13th forward tonight. On defense, only five will suit up. Junior Alexandra Zebro is replaced by first-year Kelly Seeler and senior Dagney Willey is out with a possible shoulder injury. The Gophers will need to watch the retaliatory penalties and pick-up the rebounds in order to score tonight. With a five-on-three advantage, Robert Morris opened up the scoring at 6:14. The Gophers picked up the pace and sophomore Jen Schoullis put the puck in the net at 8:18. Nineteen seconds later, senior captain Gigi Marvin scored her first goal of the seasons unassisted and shorthanded to bring the score to 2-1 in favor of the Gophers. The Gophers had five penalties this period but will start the second at full strength. Last night the team took a total of 11 penalties with two of Robert Morris’ goals coming on power plays. Tonight, Robert Morris once again has taken advantage on the power play. Sophomore Jenny Lura started in goal tonight and has made one. In her two periods of play she saw five shots, letting only one in for a goal. In goal for Robert Morris once again is Brianne McLaughlin, who has faced 16 shots. In the beginning of the second, first-year Alyssa Grogan started in net for the first of her two periods on the weekend. The Gophers started the second period off working in Robert Morris’ zone and scored 1:12 into the game. First-year Sarah Erickson scored her first career goal with an assist from first-year Jocelyn Lamoureux. The Gophers took advantage of a Robert Morris penalty to score 14:31 in the second. Senior captain Melanie Gagnon wound up and found the net, for her first goal this season, to make the score 4-1. In a change of pace from the previous four periods, the Gophers received one penalty. The Gophers kept up the high pace of play in the third. At 4:12 into the period, Robert Morris’ goalie got caught to one side, leaving the net open for Marvin to put the puck in for her second of the night. Six seconds later, junior Brittany Francis scored her first of the season right off the center-ice face-off. After much play in the Colonial’s defensive zone, Erickson scored her second of the night, off a rebound, to bring the score to a final 7-1.