Most students unaware of Supreme Court ruling

Monday’s U.S. Supreme Court Case ruling about the student services at the University of Wisconsin-Madison had little immediate effect on University of Minnesota students.
When questioned, most students were unaware of the issue, although many were curious. A few students, however, are informed.
Rodrigo Sanchez Chavarria, a University Chicano studies and journalism junior, is a board member of La Raza Student Cultural Center.
He said he is pleased with the court’s ruling.
“We’re glad because the cultural centers express the views of the community,” he said. “It’s all different types of views, whether it would be political, whether it’s cultural, whether it’s anything,” Chavarria said.
La Raza is among the three groups named in a law suit against the University disputing the constitutionality of student services fees; the other two groups are the Queer Student Cultural Center and University-YW (Young Women).
The five students suing the school say they do not feel they should have to pay for student groups they do not agree with.
University alumna Renya Kumbale said student groups should be supported, even if their views are not shared by other University students.
Physiology senior Mark Holder, member of the Africana Student Cultural Center, was pleased with the news.
“I am happy with the ruling,” he said.
Ole Vilaysone, a Japanese language junior, is treasurer of the Asian American Student Cultural Center. He said the students suing the University should look behind the motives of University student groups.
He cited La Raza as a good example. Because the center supports Cuba, he said, some people think it supports communism. In reality, the center supports the people of Cuba, not the system.

Ada Simanduyeva welcomes comments at [email protected].