Carter to play despite arrest

The freshman defensive back was charged with minor consumption and obstructing the legal process.

Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster said freshman defensive back Michael Carter will play in SaturdayâÄôs game against Illinois despite his arrest Sunday night. Carter, 18, was charged with minor consumption and obstructing the legal process after attempting to start a fight outside Mesa Pizza, according to a University of Minnesota police report. At this time, Carter is not being suspended by the team. During TuesdayâÄôs weekly press conference, Brewster mentioned how he tries to emphasize making good decisions on and off the football field. âÄúOur guys understand that [they] are different and [they have to] make great decisions,âÄù he said. âÄúWeâÄôre a team that talks a lot together, and I think that that certainly helps us as a team. âÄúI certainly take great responsibility in being the father of 113 sons.âÄù Carter, the No. 2 cornerback on the most recent depth chart, is the second Minnesota football player to have a run-in with the law and not be suspended. At the end of September, sophomore linebacker Gary Tinsley was involved in a brawl with other Gophers football players, according to a police report. However, two other Minnesota football players have been suspended this season. For breaking still-unspecified team rules, senior defensive end Cedric McKinley and sophomore defensive back Tim Dandridge were suspended for two games earlier this season. -Marco LaNave contributed to this report.