Regents OK safety plan, TCF construction

They also discussed alcohol sales at TCF and students’ intellectual property rights at Friday’s meeting.
At Friday’s meeting, the University of Minnesota Board of Regents approved transferring $4.1 million from the institution’s budget into campus safety upgrades.

The funds will cover additional security cameras and improved lighting and building security on campus. It will also pay for police officers’ overtime hours and more student security monitors.

The multi-million dollar safety initiative will use funds originally planned for small projects like sidewalk maintenance, window replacements and exterior building repairs.

Other items

Regents also approved a plan to begin construction on the TCF Bank Stadium to accommodate the Vikings coming in the fall.

Larger structural changes will include expanding seating capacity and installing heated turf. 

The $6.6 million construction project, which will be funded by the professional football team, will start in March and last untilAugust.

Regents also discussed continuing alcohol sales at the TCF Bank Stadium after the two-year pilot program expires in July. The University will ask for permission from the state Legislature this session to permanently sell alcohol at the stadium.

With full board approval, students will now own the rights to any research or products they create in their courses.

The board approved the appointment of John Coleman as the new dean of the College of Liberal Arts. Coleman will replace interim dean Raymond Duvall and start July 31.