U to inaugurate Schuman as Morris’ chancellor

After serving two years as interim chancellor, the University Board of Regents and President Mark Yudof will officially inaugurate Samuel Schuman as the fourth chancellor of the University of Minnesota-Morris Thursday night.
Schuman was named the chancellor of the Morris campus last February after a committee conducted a two-year national search. Yudof appointed Schuman after the committee narrowed the applicant pool down to three finalists.
“Sam has performed brilliantly as interim chancellor,” Yudof said in a statement. “He combines the leadership, vision and devotion to liberal arts that will serve the campus well in the years ahead.”
Schuman came to the Morris campus in 1995 as vice chancellor for academic affairs and an English professor. Before coming to the University, Schuman served as the chancellor of the University of North Carolina-Asheville and as vice president at Guilford College in Greensboro, N.C.
Upon arrival at Morris, Schuman worked diligently for three years on the campus’ conversion from quarters to semesters. He also directed the University-wide Campaign Minnesota — a massive fund-raising project aimed at raising $1.3 billion by 2003.
The Morris campus surpassed its original fund raising goal of $2 million and has almost reached its new $6 million goal, raising approximately $5.2 million so far.
Schuman also played an essential role lobbying the state Legislature for $8.5 million to renovate the campus’ old science building, as well as $25 million to build a new science building, which was completed last week.
In addition, Schuman has written five books, covering such topics as English renaissance drama, 20th century literature and the development and cultivation of college honors programs. He also runs marathons and participates in triathlons.
“I tend to be a person who doesn’t like to sit around and do nothing,” Schuman said.
He said he will continue to build on Morris’ commitment to remain a small, highly selective liberal arts college.
“We want to make sure that our campus is renovated and kept as up-to-date as possible,” Schuman said.

Patrick Hayes covers administration and welcomes comments at [email protected]. He can also be reached at (612) 627-4070 x3211.