Carlson alumnus shares success tips

One of the Carlson School of Management’s most successful alumni shared his secrets with future entrepreneurs Wednesday as part of the school’s Grand Opening Week.
Bruce Hendry, a 1964 graduate and chairman of Minnesota Brewing Co., spoke to about 40 business students in the 3M Auditorium about achieving prosperity in the business world.
He summarized his philosophy for attaining affluence in the business world into four steps: Establish a goal, determine if it is attainable, make a plan and execute.
Students, many wearing Alpha Kappa Psi sweatshirts, listened as the former fraternity member assured them that success is a learned skill with good decision making being an essential part.
“Good decisions equal success,” Hendry said.
A glance at his list of accomplishments proves that he takes his advice to heart.
Hendry’s interest in business began when he was 11 years old and invested $264 of his paper route earnings into a mutual fund. From those early business dealings, he went on to salvage several financially distressed companies including Minnesota Brewing Co. and Kaiser Steel. He was named Entrepreneur of the Year in 1995.
Hendry was introduced by Carlson Dean David Kidwell as, “Truly a living legend in business acquisition.”
And Hendry said he owes much of it to the business school.
For this reason, Hendry is an active supporter of the Carlson school. He serves on the Carlson Board of Overseers and is heavily involved with the school’s fund-raising campaigns.
The University “is an engine that helps power our state,” he said. “Carlson school is the center of what the University offers the community.”
The Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity is especially important to Hendry. Over the past 10 years, he’s helped coordinate 70 fraternity scholarships ranging from $1,500 to $7,500. The scholarships go to high school seniors to attend Carlson.
“Students are considered the future of society,” said Hendry’s colleague, Hans Snyder. “He’s very directly related to that. He’s not a passive participant in society.”
That is obvious in how Hendry applies his passion for business to every aspect of his life. An avid broomball player and runner, he stressed the important role physical health should play in a prosperous career.
Although he admits success can be a painful and expensive skill to learn, Hendry said he is confident it is something anyone using the right tools can achieve.
“His ideas generally make me feel that anyone can be successful,” sophomore finance major Dan Hansen said.