Editorial: The University is taking COVID-19 seriously, and we appreciate it

Led by President Joan Gabel, the University has taken drastic measures to protect community safety during a time of uncertainty.
Illustration by Sarah Mai
Image by Sarah Mai

Illustration by Sarah Mai

With the transition to online classes, travel restrictions and the end of study abroad programs, postponement of 2020 commencement, eventual shutdown of most campus facilities and operations, cancellation of student group events — COVID-19 has taken its toll on the University of Minnesota. And it’s not over.

These and more adjustments to everyday life have not been easy, prompting many questions without immediate answers. How do I pay for rent? Should I leave campus? What will happen to my research?

However, these changes to University operations are imperative to ensuring that the virus does not put the lives of those studying and working at the University at risk. We commend the University for its swift action in addressing the community’s needs during this tough time.

Led by President Gabel, the University is working to ensure students and faculty have access to the resources they need. Not only is the University allowing dorms to remain open, but it is also keeping the dining halls open, making pass/fail an option, working toward continual pay for student employees until the end of the semester, and taking in student feedback on commencement. Not to mention updating the University with frequent campuswide emails.

Boynton is still providing in-person mental health services, too. To contact the mental health clinic, call 612-624-1444, or for the University crisis line call 612-301-4673 or text “UMN” to 61222. Remaining socially distant is crucial to the future health of our community, and we encourage everyone to refrain from gatherings of more than 10. Practice self-care and surround yourself with those you love, even if it’s over FaceTime.

There is a lot of uncertainty surrounding this virus and the state of our world. Everything may feel out of our control, but it is important to focus on the things that we can control. Take a break from social media, go for a walk and regularly communicate with friends and family over the phone. We wish our readers well and hope that everyone is safe and healthy. 

The only way that we’ll get through this, which we will, is by working together.