GAPSA needs to stop the drama

Petty attacks are distracting GAPSA from representing graduate students.

Last week, the Minnesota Daily reported that current Graduate and Professional Student Assembly president, Abou Amara, could face an impeachment vote in the fall. A formal complaint filed by Bree Dalager, former GAPSA vice president for student affairs will have to be reviewed by a committee before being voted on by the assembly.

For the uninitiated, this is nothing new for GAPSA. Ever since this new crop of leaders took control, the student organization has looked more and more like a reality TV show.

But graduate students actually want to see GAPSA succeed. They want to be represented in a competent and professional manner. They donâÄôt want in-fighting and back-biting from Amara or his detractors.

While Amara and Dalager still take post-election pot-shots, the Council of Graduate Students is doing real work. The organization recently partnered with the graduate schoolâÄôs policy review committee to improve the leave of absence policy âÄî a real impact of the variety that GAPSA should be making.

If the allegations are true, AmaraâÄôs actions are shameful. But because student elections are mostly about name recognition, itâÄôs unlikely that AmaraâÄôs alleged misrepresentations had any effect on the outcome.

The backward-looking allegations and attacks going back and forth must stop. No one wants to hear them.

Graduate students donâÄôt care about the petty personal drama, obviously the residue of a fractious election campaign between Amara and Paul Freeman. GAPSA needs to start acting like a student government, not the drama club.