State Senate candidates on campus for forum

The Senate seat that represents the University area is up for grabs for the first time in almost 30 years.

Candidates in the special election to represent the University of Minnesota area in the state Senate will be on campus for a forum Monday night.

The six remaining candidates in the election for Senate District 59 âÄî one Republican and five from the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party âÄî will answer questions related to the University, higher education and current issues in Minnesota. There will also be a short audience question-and-answer session.

The forum will start at 7 p.m. in Murphy Hall 130, which is located at 206 Church St. SE.

One among them will be the first new voice for the University in the state Legislature in almost 30 years. Former Sen. Larry Pogemiller, DFL-Minneapolis, left his seat in late October to head the Minnesota Office of Higher Education. He was first elected to the Senate in 1982.

A primary to select the DFL candidate for the election is scheduled for Dec. 6. The special election will take place over winter break Jan. 10. Forms for absentee voting are available through the Secretary of StateâÄôs website.

The forum is sponsored by the Minnesota Daily, the Minnesota Student Association and the Minnesota Student Legislative Coalition.

DFLers in the running are: Paul Ostrow, Kari Dziedzic, Mohamud Noor, Jacob Frey and Peter Wagenius.

Ben Schwanke is the lone Republican in the race.