Local man with violent history assaults two University students; victims fear retaliation

Minneapolis police arrested a 20-year-old Columbia Heights man in connection with a Friday attack on two University students.
Joseph Patrick Kraemer was charged with burglary, fifth-degree assault and domestic assault after attacking a 19-year-old female and a 22-year-old male early Friday morning, police said.
The victims and witnesses did not want to be identified for fear of reprisal from Kraemer, who was released after 24 hours.
“She’s already afraid,” said a resident of the building who saw the attack. “We’re concerned he’ll try to retaliate … and this is not a really safe building.”
Kraemer has a history of violence, the witness said.
Police arrived at the 500 block of 14th Avenue Southeast as Kraemer was allegedly assaulting the 22-year-old male. Kraemer resisted arrest, and officers had to subdue him with Mace.
“It came out of the blue,” the witness said. Kraemer and the woman he allegedly attacked had dated, but broke up a year ago.
Kraemer called the woman’s apartment and became enraged when a male friend picked up the phone, the witness said. He threatened to beat up the friend.
Richard Clyde Medinger, a 20-year-old Minneapolis man who drove Kraemer to the scene, was charged with driving while intoxicated, according to a police report.
Witnesses said they heard the woman’s apartment door slam, and a police report stated that Kraemer broke into the apartment.
Having found no one home, Kraemer left the apartment and encountered the students outside, police said. He then allegedly assaulted them.
The male friend who answered the phone had already left, but a former resident of the building was returning from a nearby Subway with some friends, the witness said.
“They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time,” the witness said.
“Joe punched (the female victim), and (the male victim) jumped in to stop him from hitting her,” the witness said.
When police arrived, Kraemer was still assaulting the former resident.
“They Maced him and they cuffed him, and it still took them a while to get him off,” the witness said.
In other police news:
ù A burglary suspect fleeing an art store at 413 Cedar Ave. S. at midnight Sunday was struck by a vehicle, police said.
The man was transported to Hennepin County Medical Center.
An area resident residing at 421 Cedar Ave. said he witnessed the incident, but stated that it was not a burglary.
“Some kids were selling dope,” he said. “They were standing in the recess by the store.”
When the suspects saw police watching them, they fled on foot, the witness said. One of the men was hit while trying to cross Interstate 94.
The suspect has not yet been charged.

ù An 18-year-old Hastings man was arrested for lurking in Sanford Hall early Sunday morning, police said.
Residents of the building alerted campus police when they encountered the man wandering around the building at 3:41 a.m., according to a police report.