Response to ‘Take house fires seriously’

House fires happen, especially when warnings go unheeded.

Angela Kenney

I want to thank Paul Buchanan for his Jan. 25 guest column addressing the importance of house fire awareness. I used to be like everyone else who heard about fires on the news. I would feel bad for the family who lost their possessions and home and then move on with my day. But this fall, my awareness of fire safety changed. My motherâÄôs home caught fire in October due to an electrical appliance that had been plugged in and running for too long. Although no one was home or injured when the fire occurred, the impact that the situation had on my mother was the most difficult I have seen her go through. Even though the fire did not reach above the basement stairs, the interior of the house was totally destroyed because of the smoke, water and soot. Thankfully, my childhood home is still standing and is being remodeled, but the fire could have been prevented. Please check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Change the batteries or contact your landlord if they are not working. If you rent, purchase renterâÄôs insurance. If you feel the wall or an outlet and itâÄôs warm to the touch, call the fire department for them to check on it; donâÄôt let it go. But most of all, be safe around your home and prevent any situation that could potentially be hazardous. Angela Kenney, University undergraduate student