60K Day: Many thanks

Two weeks ago, the University of Minnesota community raised more than $49,000 to sponsor a Habitat for Humanity home. 60K Day was a genuine team effort — bringing together students, faculty, staff, alumni and University supporters. In just 24 hours, hundreds of people supported this effort to unite the entire University community.

The success of 60K Day was made possible by many incredible student groups and leaders. For instance, College of Science and Engineering students raised more than $5,000, 42 fraternities and sororities raised more than $3,500, and Carlson School of Management students raised more than $3,000. The Asian-American Student Union raised more than $1,000, and the Help Us Give Service student group at the University of Minnesota-Rochester raised more than $300.

In total, 60 student groups raised more than $20,000. I cannot thank these student leaders enough for all of their hard work and dedication.

I would also like to take this opportunity and thank several other individuals. Thanks to the 60K Day steering committee for their leadership, energy, creativity and willingness to meet Monday mornings. Thanks to LeeAnn Melin and Karen Kaler, the 60K Day steering committee advisers, for their wise advice and always showing up with a smile.

Thanks to Jerry Rinehart, Amelious Whyte and the Office for Student Affairs for supporting 60K Day from the very beginning. Thanks to Marilyn Carlson Nelson, David Nelson and the Carlson Family Foundation for their $10,000 matching donation. Thanks to the Minnesota Student Association for its generous sponsorship. Finally, I would like to thank University President Eric Kaler for volunteering at the 60K Day home and his inspirational words at our kickoff meeting.

60K Day was the highlight of my college experience. I thank everyone for joining me and making a difference in our community.