Support divestment from unethical corporations

We, Students for Justice in Palestine at the University in Minnesota, in conjunction with more than 25 University student organizations and faculty, call on our administration and the Minnesota Student Association to pass a resolution requesting the University to financially divest from corporations that directly profit from human rights violations. 

By divestment, we mean the University should remove investments from corporations that profit from human rights abuses and violations of international law.

We call for divestment from four specific companies: Elbit Systems, G4S, Caterpillar and Raytheon. Investments in these companies show implicit support for their decisions and actions, which many have alleged include violations of basic human rights. 

By divesting from these corporations, our University would be refusing to be complicit in human rights violations. Our University should uphold a policy of social responsibility that “refuses to … engage in unethical business practices.”

Divestment from these companies would neutralize the University in the conflict between Israel and Palestine. It would also serve to continue our legacy of being socially responsible.

The call to divest is a response to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, a global campaign to pressure Israel into complying with international law and recognizing Palestinians’ rights. BDS was initiated by Palestinian civil society in 2005 and is endorsed by more than 170 Palestinian political parties and organizations that represent people living in Israel and the West Bank.

We call upon our University to dissociate itself fromcompanies that engage or aid in systematic oppression, no matter whether this oppression targets people based on their religion, nationality, gender, race or orientation.

The inalienable rights of the Palestinian people should not be infringed upon or disregarded.

Sara Halimah 
Officer, Students for Justice in Palestine