Freshman to start at QB for Buckeyes

Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel announced Tuesday that true freshman Terrelle Pryor is the team’s official starting quarterback, and he will get the second start of his career in the game against the Gophers on Saturday. Pryor takes over a job that, coming into the year, most considered to belong to senior Todd Boeckman . Boeckman led Ohio State to the national championship game last season and threw for 209 yards against the Gophers . But Pryor, the top recruit in the nation in 2008 , impressed coaches in spring camp and split time with Boeckman in the teamâÄôs first three games . âÄúAs we went into the season, our intention was to have Todd do what Todd does, and if he could get a little relief help from Terrelle, that would be great,âÄù Tressel said. âÄúAnd then obviously things happened.âÄù On Saturday, Pryor became the first true freshman to start for the Buckeyes in 30 years while Boeckman attempted just one pass . Pryor finished 10-for-16 with 139 yards and four touchdowns . âÄúTerrelle has probably learned at a more rapid pace than any freshman IâÄôve been around, especially at that position,âÄù Tressel said. Boeckman has handled the situation well, Tressel said, and will likely still see chunks of playing time. The title of âÄústarterâÄù could mean anywhere between 65 and 95 percent of the snaps for Pryor . Tressel was happy with the example set by Boeckman, who roomed with Pryor during spring camp to help the freshman along. âÄúLetâÄôs face it; we all as seniors would rather not see our playing time diminish,âÄù Tressel said. âÄúThe fact that heâÄôs handling it so well has really given the right message.âÄù Two Penn State linemen up in the air Penn State defensive linemen Maurice Evans and Abe Koroma returned to practice Monday after being suspended for three weeks, but it is unclear if they will play this weekend. They were charged with misdemeanor possession after police found marijuana in their apartment Sept. 2. Head coach Joe Paterno said he will wait for the University to rule on the case before he decides if they will play, but coach Ron Zook of Illinois, whom the Nittany Lions play this week, has his own opinion. âÄúI don’t think there’s any question they’re going to be in there,âÄù Zook said. âÄúI don’t know you can really prepare for them.âÄù Indiana thin in defensive backfield Indiana cornerback Chris Phillips will be out for the year after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament against Ball State on Saturday, head coach Bill Lynch said. ItâÄôs another blow to an Indiana defensive backfield that will also be missing safety Nick Polk , who also injured his knee against Ball State, and could even be without strong safety Austin Thomas , whom Lynch called âÄúquestionable.âÄù âÄúAustinâÄôs been working, doing a lot more physically,âÄù Lynch said. âÄúItâÄôs just Tuesday, so weâÄôll see as we go through the week. Hopefully weâÄôll get him back.âÄù