Crime sparse over the weekend

However, several minor thefts occurred, as well as a burglary in Marcy-Holmes.

The University of Minnesota campus and surrounding areas were quiet over the weekend.

Aside from a couple of minor assaults and various thefts, few crimes were reported.

“It was a quiet weekend. We are hoping for that to continue,” said John Elder, a Minneapolis Police Department public information officer.

There were some minor thefts in University buildings, many of which are being investigated, according to University of Minnesota Police reports.

University of Minnesota police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner said it’s unlikely that the thefts from campus buildings are related.

Burglary in Marcy-Holmes

Four students lost valuables when their Marcy-Holmes house was burglarized Friday afternoon, according to a police report.

First-year Medical School student Rebecca Kummer said the students left home at about 8:30 a.m. and returned at 2:30 p.m. to find two plasma screen televisions, two laptops, their Xbox, an external hard drive and some jewelry missing.

“Our neighbor has lived on this street for 50 years. He said he’s never been robbed or seen anything like this before,” Kummer said.

The case is under investigation, and no arrests have been made, according to the report.

A call from California

Communications junior Zach Hahnen received a suspicious call from someone in Downey, Calif., about activating an iPhone that had been stolen from Hahnen in September.

The caller said they had bought the phone on eBay and needed Hahnen’s Apple ID and password.

“They said that they couldn’t get into the phone to download apps,” Hahnen said.

Hahnen said his phone was stolen from his pocket when he was at McDonald’s about five months ago.

He reported the phone as stolen to his insurance company but didn’t file a police report.

The two talked for a bit, but the caller eventually hung up, Hahnen said.