Gophers golfers go low

The No. 6 Minnesota men’s golf team defended its title at the Dr. Pepper Intercollegiate Championship at the Tanglewood Golf Club in Pottsboro, Tex., this weekend.
The Gophers shot an 8-under par team score of 280 on Sunday to win the championship.
Minnesota beat Northwestern by five shots for the team title, with Illinois finishing a distant third, 24 shots behind. Ten out of 11 teams in the Big Ten competed in the tournament.
Junior Martin LeMesurier led the way for the Gophers, shooting a five-under 67 in the final round for a third place finish with a 54-hole total of 3-under par 213.
Northwestern’s Luke Donald shot a tournament-low 66 in the final round to edge defending champion James McLean of the Gophers, 209-210, for the individual title.
Senior Adam Dooley, ranked 34th nationally, finished tied for sixth with an even-par 216. Seniors Andy Komor (222) and Jeff Barney (223) each shot an even-par 72 on Sunday to finish 21st and 25th, respectively.
Minnesota will travel to the World Golf Village in St. Augustine, Fla., this weekend for the Compaq U.S. Collegiate Golf Championships. The event will be televised on ESPN.
Women’s golf
Minnesota placed five golfers in the top ten to win the Myrtle Beach (S.C.) Classic this weekend at Myrtlewood Golf Club.
The Gophers shot a season-low 302 as a team on Sunday and 623 for the tournament to win by seven shots over Iowa.
All four Gophers scorers shot in the 70s in the final round, led by senior Melanie Lepp‘s 1-over par 73. Kristi Weichert shot back-to-77s to finish third overall, six shots back of M. C. Mullen from Iowa.
Donna Boom had four birdies en route to a final-round 75 and fourth place overall.
Minnesota is off until April 9, when they head to the Indiana Invitational.
Softball
The 18th-ranked Gophers were swept by 20th-ranked South Florida last weekend.
The Bulls won 4-0 and 2-1 in the non-conference doubleheader, improving their record to 33-13. Minnesota is now 22-9.
In the first game, Minnesota was held to three hits, while committing three errors. Senior Steph Klaviter took the loss, dropping her record to 7-5.
The Gophers doubled their hit output in the second game, but only got one run on senior Shannon Beeler’s solo home run. Beeler’s eighth home run of the season was also the 38th of her career, tying the all-time Big Ten record set by Monica Armendarez of Indiana from 1995-98.
Junior Michelle Harrison saw her record drop to 7-3 in the loss, giving up two runs in the first inning.
The Gophers swept Bethune-Cookman last Wednesday with 7-0 and 10-0 shutouts.
First-year pitcher Heather Brown tied a school record in the first game with 15 strikeouts. She gave up one hit and two walks in the complete game shutout, improving her record to 5-0.
Senior Erin Brophy hit a double to start a three-run sixth inning for Minnesota, and then hit a solo home run in the seventh. Senior Steph Midthun added two hits and a run for the Gophers.
In the nightcap, Minnesota scored seven runs in the second inning, including a grand slam by Brophy. She hit another home run in the fourth, giving her three in two games.
Midthun added three more hits in the game. She leads the Big Ten with 40 hits and is hitting .421 for the season.
Minnesota opens its home schedule with a non-conference doubleheader against Minnesota State-Mankato on Wednesday afternoon at the Rice Street Dome in St. Paul.
Women’s tennis
Minnesota swept the doubles matches to break a 3-3 tie and defeat Texas Christian 6-3 on Thursday.
The Gophers have now won six consecutive matches, and have a 10-3 overall record.
Juniors Nora Sauska and Kim Simonsen and senior Sitinee (Alice) Rangsithienchai all won their single matches, but Jana Hrdinova, Jen Howard, and Tarah Elkins all lost their matches to knot the score at 3-3.
But Minnesota’s doubles teams of Simonsen and Hrdinova, Elkins and Rangsithienchai, and Sauska and Howard all won their matches to pull away from the tie.
Minnesota will host Northwestern on Sunday at the 98th Street Racquet Club.
Women’s track and field
Minnesota crowned four champions this weekend en route to winning the team title at the Rice Bayou Classic last weekend in Houston.
The Gophers tallied 157 points to second-place Illinois’ 120.
Returning All-American junior Nicole Chimko set a Classic record in the javelin and earned an NCAA automatic qualifying mark with a throw of 180-2. She also finished third in the discus.
Sophomore Aubrey Schmitt provisionally qualified for the NCAAs in winning the shot put with a toss of 49-5 3/4. She also finished second in the discus with a throw of 160-9.
Junior Beth Howard won the hammer throw with a distance of 176-1.
Sophomore Corrine Nimtz won the Gophers’ lone track title, winning the 3,000-meter run with a time of 9-minutes, 58 seconds.
Men’s track and field
Minnesota kicked off the outdoor season at the Baldy Castillo Invitational in Tempe, Ariz.
Junior Marcus Westberry won the triple jump with a career-high 50 feet, 8 1/4 inches.
Senior Tyler McCormick took second place in the high jump and third in the long jump.
Sophomore Robert Quade finished second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 53:92.
Minnesota will travel to Austin, Tex. this weekend to take part in the Texas Relays.
Men’s tennis
24th-ranked Minnesota was knocked off by USC 4-3 on Wednesday in Los Angeles.
The Gophers won three singles matches, but couldn’t win the fourth singles match or the doubles point needed to win the match.
Senior Tom Chicoine, junior Martin Michalowski and sophomore Jon Svensson all won their matches at the No. 1, 4 and 5 spots, respectively.
But only the doubles team of Chicoine and Michalowski could win a doubles match for Minnesota at No. 1.
Minnesota was also beaten by Pepperdine last Tuesday, 5-2. Chicoine and Michalowski were the lone winners for Minnesota.
The Gophers will travel to Indiana and Purdue this weekend.