Editor’s note: T…

Editor’s note:

The Minnesota Daily welcomes you to the University of Minnesota! Our annual orientation issue is meant to be a user’s manual of sort for this incredibly large and growing institution. Our staff is dedicated to providing you with clear and captivating coverage of the University community throughout the year, five days a week. It’s going to be a long year — longer for some than others — but we hope that by taking plenty of vitamin C and reading the Daily it will be a successful one.
Before we get to know you as part of our community for this year and beyond, we would like to introduce you to the Daily. The entirely student-run newspaper is independent from the University but collects a percentage of its funding from student services fees; the rest of its financial support comes from advertising revenue and private donations. The Daily is the world’s largest college newspaper, with a readership of nearly 45,000. It is also the nation’s most honored college press, winning best all-around newspaper recognition seven of the last 12 years.
We are the largest student organization on campus and train about 250 student employees annually. The newspaper has published five days weekly since May 1, 1900, and this issue marks the last of Volume 99.
For this issue reporters were sent out by editors to find answers to the most common questions students might ask about the University. The first section informs and advises you about everything from the libraries to campus crime on the Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses. The second section updates you on Golden Gophers sports and explores the outlook for the fall season. Finally, an A&E guide is inserted in this issue to provide an insider’s view of all the cool arts and entertainment venues students may visit around campus and the Twin Cities. A&E is the arts and entertainment weekly of The Minnesota Daily and appears with the Daily every Thursday.
The Daily publishes almost exclusively documentary photographs. Our staff members believe printing altered photos that might be interpreted as representations of reality is unethical. Photographs in the Daily might be manipulated to ensure quality reproduction, but no further. Special issues like this one might contain some digitally altered photographs but they are all marked to denote the alteration, and we believe they are not likely to confuse readers.
We at the Daily invite you now to be informed and entertained by this shagadellic special issue and to tune in with us daily throughout the year. If you have anything to say to us or your fellow readers, feel free to submit a letter to the editor or saddle up with our rough riders at Network. Out.

— Nick Doty