Search leads to drug charge

Police recovered three different drugs from one University student’s room.

A female University student was charged in Hennepin County on Feb. 11 with drug possession and selling drugs after University police executed a search warrant at her Centennial Hall room.

The student, age 18, was charged with two counts of felony fourth-degree drug possession and one count of felony drug sales.

According to the criminal complaint, police recovered 37 tablets of the drug Ecstasy, 4.7 grams of suspected hallucinogenic mushrooms, 11.1 grams of marijuana and other drug paraphernalia.

The student told police the drugs were hers and that she uses them. She also admitted to police that she has sold Ecstasy for several months, the complaint stated.

The drug-possession charges carry a penalty of up to 15 years in prison and a $100,000 fine. The drug-sales charge carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

In an attempt to reach the student for comment Sunday, her mother said she would not talk about the case.

University police Lt. Troy Buhta said a concerned resident told police about the student’s activities.

“Our officers looked into it, and from what they gathered, we were able to get a search warrant,” Buhta said. “It’s good to know that we got that much stuff out of residence halls. It’s great.”

University Housing and Residential Life officials said they were not able to comment on the incident because of student privacy issues.

Wachen Anderson, coordinator of judicial affairs for Housing and Residential Life said any violation of University policy could be subject to a judicial review.

The penalties for violating a University policy could vary from not receiving any punishment to expulsion from school, Anderson said.

“Any kind of alleged violation of policy would result in judicial action within housing or within the University referred by housing,” Anderson said.

Housing officials would not say whether the student was expelled or removed from campus housing.

Senior Jennifer Gysbers said she wasn’t surprised by the student’s drug arrest.

“I would be more surprised by the amount rather than that she had any (drugs),” Gysbers said.

Gysbers said she does not feel concerned by the incident.

“It’s more of a curiosity than a threat or a worry,” she said.

Sophomore Amber Franzen, who lives in Centennial Hall, said she was surprised by the arrest but did not feel it made the residence hall unsafe.

“I don’t feel like it threatens me personally,” Franzen said. “I would be more concerned if it was a large group doing it.”

The student’s name has been removed from this story post publication for privacy reasons.