Barbeque lunch celebrates spring

Wednesday’s rain did not interfere with University Dining Services’ plans of introducing spring to the Carlson School of Management’s cafeteria, where the first annual UDS Spring Fling Bar-B-Que event took place.
“We’re trying to have some fun with our customers, give them a little variety, kind of a break from the whole monotony of the same thing every day,” said Maurice Fortin, UDS food service director.
Radio K blared music, and the smell of barbecue lured more than 100 students during a two-and-a-half hour span. Free cotton candy and entertainment including raffles added to the spring activity.
For $5.95 a plate, students had an opportunity to eat various barbecued foods, along with chips, vegetables and fruits.
“I think it’s a good idea; it’s a change from what we normally have around here,” said Michael Belot, University sport studies senior.
Belot said picnic-like food is different and should be done once in awhile, possibly once a week.
While some students liked the Spring Fling, others felt it was lacking a few aspects. Two main concerns were the lack of advertising and the price for a plate.
“The food is pretty good, but it’s kind of expensive,” said Michael Krans, University marketing and international business senior. “I don’t think it’s really worth it; I think it’s another chance to rip off students.”
Krans, however, said he felt it is a good idea to have a spring celebration even though it would have been better if it was cheaper.
Sanjay Govindan, assistant food service director, said Spring Fling brings creativity to the every day cafeteria life.
“We just got done with winter, everybody is down, it’s going to be finals week, so one of the reasons we have something like this is to cheer up the students,” Govindan said.
Spring Fling is one of the first in a series of events sponsored by the UDS facility this semester.
“It gives people an opportunity to come and get some food, to feel like the summer is coming, to feel like even in the rain we can all hang out,” said Ethan Glass, second-year law student.

Ada Simanduyeva welcomes comments at [email protected].