Former technician files harassment suit against Fairview

Sarah McKenzie

A former psychiatric technician has filed a federal civil complaint against Fairview-University Medical Center claiming sexual harassment by hospital nursing supervisors.
Taye Sillga, who was fired from the hospital in January, alleged hospital officials violated federal civil rights legislation and state human rights laws by failing to address the ongoing sexual misconduct, according to the Aug. 2 complaint.
The court documents stated that two nurses directed lewd comments at Sillga, made sexual demands while on duty and intimidated him when he refused to comply with their requests.
A hospital media relations official said Tuesday that the hospital plans to “vigorously defend itself” from Sillga’s lawsuit. The complaint contains six counts of civil wrongdoing.
“Fairview-University Medical Center takes these allegations very seriously,” said Ryan Davenport, a spokesman for the hospital. “Fairview-University investigated each of the claims and found no evidence of improper behavior, therefore, we deny the allegations.”
Davenport declined to comment on Sillga’s firing in January.
According to the former technician’s complaint, hospital officials terminated him Jan. 27 after he filed two charges of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Sillga did not return phone calls.
This is the second lawsuit Sillga has brought against the hospital since March. The former technician’s first complaint alleged hospital officials discriminated against him on the basis of his race and ethnic origin.
A federal judge dismissed the first suit June 1, according to U.S. District Court records.
In the latest complaint, the former technician was allegedly subjected to sexual harassment for more than one year.
One nurse repeatedly touched Sillga in an inappropriate manner and forced him to view “sexually explicit Web sites,” the complaint states.
“Her conduct prohibited me from performing my duties, including going on rounds every 15 minutes,” Sillga wrote in court documents.
Sillga is representing himself in the lawsuit. He is seeking a jury trial and an unspecified amount in punitive damages.