My boyfriend just graduated college without telling me?!

I thought we were both sophomores…

Dear Dr. Date, 

My boyfriend and I met in a senior-level class as sophomores last fall and bonded over feeling out of place — while everyone was looking for jobs after graduation, we were nervous over planning for next semester’s classes. After being assigned as group partners for the year, we ended up making out instead of making the Google slides and the rest is history. We’re already planning on moving in together as soon as we graduate next year, but until then, we see each other between classes pretty often.

Well, I thought it was “between classes” for both of us. But when I tried to send something to my boyfriend’s University email only to get a “this account is not active” response, I asked him what was up. He finally confessed to me that he was actually a senior in that sophomore class and was just trying to relate to me — and he graduated in winter! Apparently, he was going to pretend to be on campus while he was actually working a full-time job, and was going to tell me in two years when “we” graduated. 

I would have loved him just as much if he told me he was a senior in the first place, but now he’s broken my trust. I’m amazed and horrified by him — I have no clue what to do here. Help!

Sincerely,

Too Old for Me?

Dear Too Old for Me?,

Well, at least you found out now? Imagine dating a college student for three years and finding out they’ve secretly been working at GM this whole time…

But seriously, this SCREAMS red flag. Yeah, the lie may have been cute if he revealed it within the first week — I might “awwww” if some bashful guy I was into told me he just wanted to get closer to me. Keeping up the lie for months (and planning on doing it for years) is downright sociopathic. If I were you, I’d ditch and find someone who is honest about major life issues, not a guy who would make up a fake life to keep dating someone.

Sincerely,

Dr. Date