Carnival rejoins Spring Jam’s schedule of campus events

The Carnie is back.
After a hiatus of eight years, the Campus Carnival — known as the Carnie — will be a part of Spring Jam ’98, the annual music-filled event running from Monday through Saturday.
Local bands will perform throughout the afternoon of this year’s carnival, which will be on Saturday at the Buckeye lot.
Greeks traditionally organize the event, but officials from Coffman Union’s program office are trying to involve more nongreek students this year.
“It has been a greek event in the past, so we’re trying to get more students involved,” said College of Liberal Arts freshman Naarah Nelson.
“You’re not getting the whole student body when you’re focusing on greeks,” said College of Agriculture sophomore Bob Parke, who added that it’s exciting to be a part of Spring Jam because of increased community involvement.
A Violent Femmes concert highlights the week. The show will be in the west end of the Buckeye lot at Saturday’s carnival. Tickets are $5 for students in advance, $7 for students at the entrance and $12 for the public.
“It is truly a campus-wide event,” said Rachel Leatham, program advisor at Coffman Union. “The University is real excited about hosting big events this year.”
Spring Jam’s weekday events include a Friday night camp-out to raise money for Camp Heartland. The camp offers summer programs for children infected with HIV or AIDS.
The week’s musical events include concerts each day outside residence halls. Featured bands include Mango Jam with Unisense, the Billy’s, Sensational Joint Chiefs, Vic Volare and the Honeydogs.
Other events include softball, volleyball and basketball competitions, a giant Twister game, skits and a “Ballyhoo” dance competition.
An arts and crafts fair running Thursday, Friday and Saturday will have art, pottery and jewelry for sale.
All events are located throughout the Twin Cities campus, though the majority are located in or outside Coffman Union.
“We want to make it really easy for people to get involved and have a good time,” said Leatham, who added that additional bus services are to be available to increase accessibility to residence halls.