You’ll be sorry for party rocking

With alcohol being sold at TCF, students should keep their game day behavior in check.

This Saturday as the Gophers take on the New Hampshire Wildcats, fans will be able to enjoy a cold beer in TCF Bank Stadium for the first time — but they should do so responsibly.

This summer, the Board of Regents approved sales of beer and wine in a restricted beer garden area of the football stadium. While the decision to sell alcohol in the stadium could help Gophers athletics fill premium seats, it could also put University of Minnesota students at risk of becoming too intoxicated and damaging the reputation of the University to its competitors and surrounding community.

While the stadium is new to alcohol sales, it’s no stranger to alcohol-related incidents. Fans have been ejected from games for intoxication, and minors have been cited for underage drinking. Added availability of alcohol at the game could lead to more intoxicated students (even if they are of legal age) running into trouble with the police. Students who tailgate starting in the wee hours of the morning used to fill the student section in time for 11 a.m. kickoff, keep up the energy for a few quarters and return home for a nap — undoubtedly exhausted from day-drinking. Now, students of legal age have the ability to prolong that buzz all day and risk becoming dangerously intoxicated.

Public intoxication on game day can damage the reputation of University students in the community and earn us a reputation as hard partiers that could follow us into the Big Ten and beyond.

When University officials made the deal to sell alcohol in the stadium, they also committed to reviewing its impact on Gopher game day atmosphere.

While alcohol sales have the potential to garner more than $1 million in revenue for the University, don’t let that be at the expense of the safety of students and the pride we take in our University.

Administrators: Please take your promise to evaluate this new practice seriously and don’t be afraid to stop the taps if this venture should prove to be harmful to our community.

Students: You have the opportunity to buy alcohol at your football stadium now — don’t abuse it and embarrass the rest of us.