Offense roars past Duluth

The Gophers ended up with 118 shots against the Bulldogs during their sweep.
Gophers forward Kate Schipper maneuvers the puck away from Yale in Ridders Arena on Nov. 20, 2015.
Image by Joe Sulik
The Gophers offense looked back in rhythm over the weekend, this time with Amanda Kessel in tow.

Minnesota had 118 combined shots in Duluth over the weekend and won 7-3 on Friday and 6-2 on Saturday against the Bulldogs.

“I thought we did a real good job manufacturing offense and getting to the net a little more than we have been in the past,” head coach Brad Frost said. “Putting some of those pucks in the net was good to see.”

The No. 3 Gophers’ (27-3-1, 22-3-1 WCHA) 68 shots on Friday was a season high for the team.

Junior forward Kate Schipper scored 2:26 into the game, and senior captain Hannah Brandt added a power-play goal to put Minnesota up 2-0 after one period.

The Bulldogs (12-19-1, 9-16-1) scored early in the second period to make it a one-goal game, but the Gophers answered back with two power-play goals.

Redshirt sophomore goaltender Sidney Peters entered the game for Minnesota in the third period and allowed two goals, but the Gophers added three more to stay comfortably ahead.

Minnesota went 3-for-3 on the power play on Friday, largely thanks to its impressive first unit of Kessel, Brandt, junior forward Dani Cameranesi, senior defenseman Milica McMillen and junior defenseman Lee Stecklein.

“We’ve been moving the puck well [on the power play],” Brandt said. “I think when you have the right people out there, it helps. We’ve kind of been bearing down on those because in some games, those may be the only chances, and you have to make them count.”

Despite the large offensive output, the Gophers switched up its lines before Saturday’s game.

Cameranesi moved from the first line to the second, and freshman forward Sarah Potomak took her place.

The decision paid off when the team’s second line combined for six points in the game. Cameranesi had two goals and an assist, Schipper had two assists and sophomore center Kelly Pannek tallied a goal.

“Dani and I play the same type of game and use our speed to get a lot of shots on net,” Schipper said. “I thought we adjusted and played really well together this weekend.”

The Gophers also received help from their third and fourth lines with sophomore forward Caitlin Reilly and freshman forward Anna Barlow each scoring a goal.

Kessel scored again in the first period on Saturday on the power play, her first goal in regulation since returning to the team last weekend. It was the first goal she scored for the Gophers since the 2013 national championship game against Boston University.

“She’s jumped in and has done a great job for our team,” Brandt said. “It was taking her awhile to get that first goal, but now that she’s gotten it, I’m sure she’s really going to light it up here in the next few games.”