RB Edwards to switch to defense

Injuries at linebacker have forced the coaches to move Lamonte Edwards to defense.

Redshirt freshman running back Lamonte Edwards tried his hand at defense in the season opener against USC. Apparently, the Gophers coaching staff liked what they saw.

MinnesotaâĂ„Ă´s linebacking corps is banged up, and with the emergence of Donnell Kirkwood as a viable backfield option, head coach Jerry Kill and his staff have decided to give Edwards a shot at linebacker.

âĂ„ĂşI donâĂ„Ă´t know if [the move] is going to be permanent âĂ„¦ WeâĂ„Ă´ve got some injuries there and as long as this seasonâĂ„Ă´s going to be, heâĂ„Ă´s too good to just get 10 or 15 plays,âĂ„Ăą Kill said.

Kill said Edwards still may play some offense and the move is driven by the fact that the coaches want to get their best players on the field.

Edwards said that heâĂ„Ă´s excited for the opportunity to lay the smackdown on defense.

âĂ„ĂşI just like to hit people. I like physicality. Linebacker is like the perfect spot to get a piece of somebody every play,âĂ„Ăą Edwards said.

âĂ„ĂşItâĂ„Ă´s something I played in high school. IâĂ„Ă´ve just got to get used to it, used to the plays and stuff and the way the coaches want me to play.âĂ„Ăą

Linebackers Aaron Hill and Brendan Beal are both out with injuries. Hill has been hampered by a hamstring injury and Beal is out with a swollen knee, the same knee on which he had knee surgery to repair a torn ACL last year.

Kill said Beal is out indefinitely and he does not expect him back âĂ„Ăşfor a long time.âĂ„Ăą

Edwards, a graduate of Woodbury High School, was recruited as an athlete by the Gophers in 2010.

Through three games this season, heâĂ„Ă´s carried the ball eight times for a mere 11 yards. He recorded his first career touchdown in week two against New Mexico State.

EdwardsâĂ„Ă´ high school coach, Beau LaBore, has called the Gophers coaching staff on several occasions to insist that Edwards play defense, according to Kill.

âĂ„ĂşMy high school coach has always wanted me to play linebacker only,âĂ„Ăą Edwards said. âĂ„ĂşHe was a linebacker, thatâĂ„Ă´s why.âĂ„Ăą

Kill said the coaches are trying to maximize the talent on the roster, and moving Edwards will help them do so.

âĂ„ĂşWe are dealt the cards we have, and we are going to try to utilize all those cards that we can,âĂ„Ăą Kill said.

Edwards intends to play linebacker against North Dakota State on Saturday.