University professor claims Nobel Prize

Leonid Hurwicz was rightfully commended by the Nobel Foundation.

The University added one more name to its list of Nobel Prize winners Monday, as Leonid Hurwicz rounded it out to an even 20.

The 90-year-old made headlines around the world for claiming the Nobel Prize in economics. But his work in creating the mechanism design theory has been around for decades and applied to governmental policy decisions for just as long.

And it’s not just Hurwicz’s work on the theory that should be commended.

Colleagues said the professor emeritus was more interested in teaching students than publishing his work in manuscripts.

During the media frenzy, Hurwicz, the oldest person to receive the award, maintained his usual modest manner, constantly crediting other people.

“I wouldn’t have arrived at it without various collaborators,” Hurwicz said, his Polish accent still evident, in an interview with Minnesota Public Radio.

His wife even added that the best part about Hurwicz winning the award was that he was still alive to receive it along with Eric Maskin from Princeton University and Roger Myerson from the University of Chicago.

The Nobel Foundation, University President Bob Bruininks and others have rightfully commended Hurwicz for his work in economics as well as his work as an educator.

Hurwicz taught at the University for more than 30 years, from the 1950s through the 1980s, and even returned last semester to teach a graduate economics course as an emeritus professor.

He’s shown continued dedication to the University, education and economics. We’re proud of his award and his connection to the University.