Gophers men leave local relays with five titles

This was the final competition before the Drake Relays next weekend.

The Gophers men’s track and field team placed second at the Carleton Relays on Saturday in Northfield, Minn., even without its full roster.

Carleton took home the meet title with 103 team points to Minnesota’s 90. The Gophers won five events en route to their silver finish.

Minnesota senior Jacob Capek crossed first in the 400-meter dash with a time of 48.72 seconds — barely a second ahead of teammate freshman Nate Roese, who finished second.

Gophers freshman Mitch Hechsel won the 800-meter run title, finishing the race in 1:52.65, and sophomore Aaron Bartnik won the 1,500-meter run in 3:55.09.

Minnesota freshman Luca Wieland led a top-two sweep in the 110-meter hurdles at 14.52 with teammate freshman Ben Holcomb in second.

In the field, junior Logan Markuson cleared a height of 4.72 meters to win the pole vault.

A smaller group of competitors traveled to the Mt. SAC Multi-Events in California.

Middle-distance runners compete

A group of mostly middle-distance runners from the women’s track and field team competed at the Carleton Relays.

Gophers redshirt freshman Taylor Mikkalson and sophomore Jamie Piepenburg finished second and third, respectively, in the 1,500-meter run.

Minnesota senior Maggie Bollig finished third in the 800-meter run at 2:16.28.

The Gophers didn’t win any titles at the Carleton Relays, but their 4×400-meter relay team placed second to add to the team’s moderate success at the meet.

Minnesota’s men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete with their full rosters next weekend at several meets, with the highlight being the Drake Relays in Iowa.