Appointee to oversee Rochester campus

Fabiana Torreao
The University Board of Regents recently appointed an Oklahoma university dean to oversee the University’s Rochester campus.
David Carl, who was appointed to the post June 9, is currently the dean of the School of Graduate and Professional Studies at Cameron University.
Once in Rochester, he will oversee the University of Minnesota-Rochester in its partnership with Rochester Community and Technical College and Winona State University. The three institutions form the University Center Rochester.
“I think it will be really exciting,” Carl said. “We’ll be working together as a team to serve the needs of the Rochester community.”
His goals include building on the campus partnership, working closely with the Rochester community and concentrating on upper division and graduate programs.
With a master’s and a doctoral degree in instructional systems technology from Indiana University, Carl worked as assistant dean at St. Cloud State University and as a faculty member and program chair at the University of Arkansas before moving to Cameron.
“Dr. Carl is uniquely qualified to provide the leadership and vision needed to position the University of Minnesota-Rochester’s academic services program as a major educational resource in southeastern Minnesota,” said University Executive Vice President and Provost Bob Bruininks in a statement. “He has the management and academic skills and experience to lead this unique partnership.”
Carl said he believes the success of the Rochester campus might serve as a national model of institutional partnerships.
“No single institution has the resources to fulfill the needs of our constituents,” Carl said. “However, if we combine our resources we can fulfill the needs of our constituents.”

Fabiana Torreao welcomes comments at [email protected]. She can also be reached at (612) 627-4070 x3212.